Saturday, November 9, 2013

Soup Supper



My husband had a bumper crop of onions this summer and tonight we are having French onion soup! I have never made it before, but I think it will really be good. It smells heavenly as the onions sizzle away in the skillet. It is a crock-pot recipe and so slicing and cooking the onions is the only "tough" part. Super simple recipe!

French Onion Soup

From Gooseberry Patch Slow Cooker Recipes

4c. Beef broth
3c. Yellow onion, thinly sliced
1/4c. Butter
1 1/2t. Salt
1/4c. Sugar
2T. Flour
Optional: 1/4c. Dry vermouth or sherry (I had vermouth so that is what. chose)
1c. Grated Parmesan cheese
8 slices French bread
Optional: additional grated Parmesan cheese

Pour broth into a slow cooker set on high; cover and set aside to warm. In a skillet over medium heat, cook onion slowly in butter until tender, about 15 minutes. Add salt, sugar, flour and vermouth or sherry, if using. Stir well; add to broth in slow cooker. Cover and cook on high setting for 3 hours, or reduce heat to low for 6-8 hours. At serving time, stir n cheese. Toast bread in oven or under broiler; place bread in soup crocks. Ladle soup over bread; sprinkle with additional cheese, if desired. Serves 8.
***Be sure to double it for a hungry family of four!

6 comments:

GardenOfDaisies said...

My husband loves french onion soup! One of these days, when I think my eyes can handle the crying, I will have to try this recipe. The onions get me every time!

Dog Trot Farm said...

Yummy! I love the fact it cooks in the crockpot...perfect fall dinner...Thanks Jem...

Darcie said...

We LOVE French Onion soup, but have never tried to make it from scratch. Might have to give this recipe a try...sounds delicious.

Jen Kershner said...

Ahh, french onion soup is my all time favorite but I never want to put in the effort required to make it for some reason. I'm going to have to change that soon!

myletterstoemily said...


That is my husband's favorite soup!
Thank you for the recipe.

Unfortunately for him, tonight's is
chicken noodle, MY favorite!

Bernideen said...

French Onion Soup - great in the winter and always yummy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin